Skip to content
Sally May’s Monkey Bars
- 2 large overripe bananas (ideally so ripe you are thinking about tossing them in the compost)
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (I like Enjoy Life brand)
- 1 oz dark chocolate (I used 80% Equal Exchange chocolate)
- 1/2 Tbsp butter, lard, coconut oil, palm shortening or ghee (I would only suggest using coconut oil if your interior temperature is less that 74F)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9″x13″ baking pan with coconut oil, palm shortening, lard or butter (or use a silicone pan and skip the greasing).
- Peel bananas and mash with a fork until mushy and smooth. Add eggs, coconut oil, almond butter, almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix thoroughly to form a batter. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared baking sheet, and spread batter out evenly with a spatula or spoon.
- Bake for 17-18 minutes. Let cool. Cut into squares.
- If you are going to do the chocolate drizzle, simply melt chocolate and your chosen fat together. Use a spoon to drizzle over the top. You can let the drizzle harden at room temperature or pop it in the fridge if you're feeling impatient